- This event has passed.
Save the Cat!® TV Beat Sheet Workshop with Jamie Nash
November 12, 2022 - November 27, 2022$495.00
The jobs are in TV. Are you ready to write your breakthrough TV pilot?
In this live Zoom workshop with 4 sessions over 3 weeks, you’ll learn the essentials of developing your compelling TV series and TV pilot and develop 2 beat sheets—one for your series and one for your pilot, along with your pitch—based on the Save the Cat!® methodology.
A MAXIMUM OF 8 STUDENTS MEANS YOU WILL BE GUIDED BY THE INSTRUCTOR STEP-BY-STEP, BEAT-BY-BEAT.
4 Zoom sessions, each 2.5 hours in length:
Saturday, November 12, 2022: 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM pacific
Sunday, November 13, 2022: 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM pacific
Saturday, November 19, 2022: 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM pacific
Sunday, November 27, 2022: 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM pacific
ABOUT THE TV BEAT SHEET WORKSHOP
Over the course of 4 sessions, you will:
* Learn and use the key elements to create your TV series, including World, Franchise Type, and Characters.
* Learn the 15 Save the Cat! story beats and how they apply to television season arcs and pilot episodes.
* Use the Save the Cat! beats to break both your Season 1 arc and pilot episode.
* Practice your series and pilot pitches and improve your technique in front of a friendly group of fellow writers eager to help you succeed.
THE WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
* Create your breakthrough series by finding a World, Franchise Type, and compelling Characters.
* Pitch your high-level series idea.
* Learn how to “beat out” your series Season 1 arc and pilot using the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet.
* Pitch your Season 1 arc and use it to determine the story you want to tell in the pilot episode.
* Discover the tips and tricks of writing a great TV pilot episode.
* Pitch your TV pilot to the class using the 15 key beats.
Jamie Nash is the author of the best-selling Save the Cat! Writes for TV and the Save the Cat! Beat Sheet Workbook. Jamie has written and sold almost every type of story under the sun, including the horror films Exists, V/H/S/2, The Night Watchmen, Altered, and Lovely Molly, and the family films Santa Hunters and Tiny Christmas. He has written the Middle Grade novels Bunk! and The 44 Rules of Amateur Sleuthing and the sci-fi novel Nomad. Jamie knows what it’s like to make a living as a writer. When he’s not writing and selling work, he teaches screenwriting at Johns Hopkins University and MICA and co-hosts the podcast Writers/Blockbusters.
PAY AS LOW AS $45 PER MONTH WITH AFFIRM – IN THE CART.
ABOUT THE BEAT SHEET WORKSHOP
Over the course of 2 weekends, you will:
- Learn the difference between a pitch and a logline, and why you must nail each one.
- Lock down your logline with the Save the Cat! mini-story template to get out of any logline jam.
- Learn the 15 key beats found in any story to make yours resonate with what is “primal.”
- Crack the “Magical Midpoint”—the secret of every story’s power.
- Find out why the Opening Image and the Final Image are your way to “doublecheck the math” of a hero’s transformation.
- Practice your pitch and improve your technique in front of a friendly group of fellow writers eager to help you succeed.
THE WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
- Find your story according to Blake’s four elements of every successful logline.
- Learn to “beat out” your story using the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet (the BS2).
- Pitch your pillar beats: Opening Image, Catalyst, Break into 2, Midpoint, Break into 3, Final Image
- Discover the five steps that make a great finale.
- Pitch your story to the class using the 15 key beats every successful story must have.
TESTIMONIALS FOR THE BEAT SHEET WORKSHOP
“If I had to come up with a simple and poignant way to describe it, I’d call it the only workshop that you’ll ever find in Hollywood that encourages your story’s individuality.”
— Ebony Jones in her review on Coverage, Ink. Read Ebony’s entire review here.
“I loved taking the Save the Cat! workshop with Ben in NYC. I was working on my second Lemoncello book at the time and it went on, after great input at the seminar, to become a New York Times best seller. In fact, I use what I learned from Ben and STC! in all the middle grade novels I write…and one, Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library, even became a movie on Nickelodeon last fall! Thanks, Ben!” — Chris Grabenstein, #1 New York Times best-selling author
“Whether you’re aspiring to start your first screenplay or you’re an established writer looking to work out some new material, the Save the Cat! workshop offers tools for success. Early in my career, Ben and STC! helped my understanding of story structure, which is information I still use every day on every draft of every script I write.” — Jordan Gershowitz, screenwriter and producer, Warner Bros, Disney, and Nickelodeon (The Good Catholic, Random Tropical Paradise, Total Frat Movie, Temps, and writer for Tom & Jerry TV)
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Should you choose to cancel, a full refund will be given if a written cancellation notice sent by the registrant is received by Blake Snyder Enterprises, LLC 10 days or more prior to the event.
- Registrants canceling less than 10 days prior to the event will not receive a refund.
- Blake Snyder Enterprises, LLC reserves the right to cancel an event at any time for unforeseen circumstances or emergencies and will give as much advance notice as possible. Should that occur, Blake Snyder Enterprises, LLC will send the registrant a full refund. If Blake Snyder Enterprises, LLC does cancel, it will not be liable for trip cancellation expenses, such as travel or hotel arrangements.
*A writing team working on a single project will be counted as a single writer at a special fee. If you write with a partner, email BJ Markel for a special price.
If you have any questions about the class, please contact BJ Markel at [email protected].